Saturday, November 8, 2008

Car Trouble

OK, the kids are cute, but it's time for something new.

It's been a very frustrating week. Car trouble always makes me feel that way.
Apparently the alternator in my car has been suffering lately. Then it died. I knew it was time for a new one when I had to ask the woman whose house I'd just cleaned to give me a jump-start. (How embarassing do you think that was?)
But that was on Monday, and payday wasn't until Friday. And when a car part will take half of your paycheck, you really have to time it just right.
Thank goodness Jim's very generous uncle had a spare vehicle.
So, today Jim picked up the part.
Did you know that car repair is a really good bonding experience? It's a precious time together that money cannot buy. (If we had the money, we would have taken it to a mechanic.)
Well, after about two freezing cold hours of dropping tools and mangling and blackening our hands, we finished installing the new alternator, only to have it die again at the gas station.
When Jim came to rescue me, he found that the only problem was a loose battery connection.
So now, hopefully, the car will start tomorrow, and life (so far) will be back to normal.

2 comments:

Bob Scuba said...

I'm sorry that happened to you Jan and glad you had some family there to help out a little. I hope the car is working again as it should. As you know, with money or without money, life can be frustrating with problems that do not get fixed as easily as a car. You have a beautiful family and I do hope you enjoy this time together because like you said, time is something you cannot buy.
Bob

Heather said...

I hate car trouble. Why is it that car trouble makes you feel like your world is coming to a financial end? Not much more frustrating than that. I'm glad it is fixed.